Author Topic: V3 needs help with his laptop  (Read 914 times)

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
  • Visit my YouTube channel for redstone tutorials!
V3 needs help with his laptop
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:22:31 PM »
     Alright so here is the deal. I've had this laptop that has run faitfully for me for about three years now. I've never had any major virus on it, protected from recieving any physical damage, and so on. However as of late I've been having a recuring issue with it. It crashes from over heating at certain points in time. For instance, last week it did it frequently, this week it is fine and it will probably be that way for another month or so until it does it again as usual. Now I recently cleaned up my clutter files (Temporary files and such) with CCleaner and fixed the registry so that really helped me out a lot with freeing up memory space on my C Drive but I'm not sure if that will make much of a difference in the laptops current problem.

Now I believe the cause of these crashes from overheating are third party apps that are running in the background from years of accumulation. The reason I believe it is that is because it seems I've slowly lost the ability to use certain programs or run multiple ones at the same time without experiencing lag. Even Minecraft has slowly become more of a pain to run, what with the lag I experience on the server and even on some single player maps (this could be from MC updating over the years or the server host, IDK I'm just speculating) The strangest thing of all is that it happens when it is idling, namely I go to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner and I come back down to find that it crashed.

My question is what can I do to increase my laptops performance and prevent these crashes. Whether that be backing up my hard drive and reinstalling the OS, cleaning the fan somehow, or even some program to help reduce background applications. I just want to know what is the best thing to do to solve this. Thanks.
"You don't have to worry. We're slowing down, but wasn't it exciting? And when the sun changes colors, that's all for you. Cause that's our ending." And its time for my next big adventure...

Offline FuzzyBiscuitz

• Admin
  • Minecraft junkie
Re: V3 needs help with his laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
Well if you have it 3 years and have never reformatted it id suggest doing so, this will get rid of all unwanted crap and just reinstall the programs you need and nothing more, and backup all files to an external drive to put them back on.

Also if you are tech savvy try taking your laptop apart and cleaning out the fan, i took mine apart after 2 years and there was a load of dust stuck inside the fan.

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
     Alright, my patents recently got an external hard drive that they backed up their computer on to so I'll use that. As for cleaning out the fan, the last time I tried to open up the laptop there was one screw that was pretty much impossible to get out since it was stripped pretty badly. More so the areas that were unscrewed barely wanted to separate. If you recommend it I'll probably just take it to a tech place or someone I know who is savvy enough to do that. Now the next question I have would be since I don't have a copy of the windows 7 OS but my friend offered to loan me his, would I be able to use it or is it usable on only one computer?
"You don't have to worry. We're slowing down, but wasn't it exciting? And when the sun changes colors, that's all for you. Cause that's our ending." And its time for my next big adventure...

Offline FuzzyBiscuitz

• Admin
  • Minecraft junkie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »
its only useable on one pc as each one needs a serial key.
whats your laptop model number?
99% of laptops have a button such as f12 that you press when your pc is on the bios screen, this brings you to a hidden menu where you can have the option to "restore to factory settings" so no reinstall is needed, the laptop does everything itself. the only thing is each laptop has a different method of getting to that menu so id need your laptop and laptop model number to find out

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
Okay thanks for that tip, I'll post the model number and model as soon as I get home.

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
The laptop is a Samsung R580. Model Number reads: NP-R580-JBB1US
If this isn't what you needed let me know.

Offline Deaththinius

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
I'm sorry, I haven't got much time, but I have kind of read what your problem might be:
If it's just overheating and crashing instantly when it's hot as fuck, it was happening to me every day, untill I got my cooler, also, you need to take it apart and vacuum some of the dust out from time to time.
Hope it helps.

The cooler:

or

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:13:03 PM by Deaththinius »
TinBin!

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »
Trying to save money right now so getting a cooler isn't feasible at the moment. Also I've felt when it get's hot as fuck and it's normally not that hot when it does crash. I suggested overheating/dust in the fan to be a portion of the problem. Overall it seems that it doesn't seem to be overexerting itself when in actuality it is.

Offline Deaththinius

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
Trying to save money right now so getting a cooler isn't feasible at the moment. Also I've felt when it get's hot as fuck and it's normally not that hot when it does crash. I suggested overheating/dust in the fan to be a portion of the problem. Overall it seems that it doesn't seem to be overexerting itself when in actuality it is.

But.. but... the cooler is like 10$ :(
TinBin!

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
Wait 10$ only that little? Huh. I thought those things would be expensive.

Offline abukhaled

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
If you're so worried about heat then you can follow a few simple steps:

1. Get a cooling pad for your laptop off EBay or Amazon. They plug into any USB port and can reduce the Temperature of your laptop by 5-10 Degrees Celsius.

2. Keep the Laptop and cooling pad of a hard, flat surface. (e.g a desk) Do not put it on your lap or bed as the heat will not disperse from underneath the laptop and air can't ventilate around the laptop.

3. I think all 2nd generation i3, i5 and i7s overclock themselves and underclock themselves. For example when gaming it overclocks the CPU and when on the internet it may underclock the CPU if you're not using heavy flash websites.
To prevent it overclocking itself, Right Click on the battery icon -> Power Options -> [Whatever plan you are on]Change Plan Settings -> Change advance power settings -> Processor Power Management -> Maximum Processor State -> Change from 100% to 99% on both plugged in and on battery.
It can get much hotter when Overclocked

4. You can undervolt the GPU which is giving the GPU a lower voltage to reduce power consumption and heat. You can't do this with normal computers most of the time you normally need a PC you built yourself becuase aftermarket motherboards normally have a better bios to OC.
You can downloaded modded versions of your Bios with lower voltages for the CPU and then flash the modded bios.

Offline V3Slayer

• Minecraft junkie
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
Currently backing up my laptop onto the external hard drive. Hopefully I can figure out how to do this factory setting reset.

Offline chetan8905

• Minecraft Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Well, you can use compressed air for the laptop too. I suggest you don't use it on the bed, as the fan does get clogged up due to dust. Ideally, you should clean laptops every 6 months, or even less if you have pets like dogs in the house.

I suggest you use compressed air. I've seen that laptops are not helped too much by cooling pads. I mean they are, but not by huge amounts - it doesn't really help overheating too much, at least, not when my sister's HP overheated.

There are chances your heatsink could have been exposed to air and is dry, and that could be a serious problems for cooling, especially in a notebook. Again, I suggest you just use compressed air, or if it's very bad, open it up and clean it.

I think that notebooks are not the best thing to do intensive tasks on. The desktop has much more space, and is cooled substantially better. They also tend to have more temperature sensors.

For instance, since I last properly was playing on Minecraft, I had a laptop (HP Pavillion dv6-3145ez), and it was okay, but it wasn't great for gaming. My 13" MBP was better, but still not great.

I built a desktop recently, and it's great for gaming in the budget I had. So I believe that desktops are better by a long way than laptops.

Also, I suggest that you download HWMonitor and Core Temp to track your temperatures. If you have a dual monitor setup, you should put them on your secondary monitor while gaming (that's what I do).

Basically, use Compressed Air to clean the fan vents (which must be clogged), and take apart the laptop and clean the fan vents. You should be able to find more about taking apart your laptop with your manual/guidebook.

EDIT: Note that your CPU and GPU are throttled according to the temperature. So you will have a performance decrease as the laptop gets hotter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:42:10 PM by chetan8905 »

Offline chetan8905

• Minecraft Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »
Oh by the way: My laptop cooler preference is:

First: Cooler Master Notepal U3: It's bulky and expensive, but it's the best laptop cooler I have seen if you're using your laptop as a desktop replacement. But you can put the fans where you want, and also the fans are somewhat powerful.

Second: Targus Lap Chill Mat: a balance between portability and power.

Third: Logitech Cooling Pad N200: portable, but not very powerful. Good padding on the bottom to make it comfortable for on lap use.

anything
anything