Author Topic: How to un-allocate an extended partition (Windows 7) ?  (Read 508 times)

Offline masterelias706

• Minecraft junkie
  • Maker of shit memes
How to un-allocate an extended partition (Windows 7) ?
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
One year ago, I decided to make different partitions on my computer (one for Win7, one for my personal files,etc.) but now I would like to un-allocate all these partitions. I first deleted them all, then I have 270GB free space. I want to extend my main partition (Windows7-HD), but I can't click on 'Extend partition...'. I thought I should right click the free space and then click 'Delete partition...'. But when I click this button, a message comes up and says 'This is an extended partition. This partition will no longer be accessible if you delete it. Are you sure you want to delete this partition?' Does this mean I will lose all these 270GB? That would be an enormous loss for my hard disk so I wanted to ask you guys first instead of taking the risk.

As you can see on the screenshot I can't click the 'Extend this volume...' button (sorry for the french screenshot)

P.S. @evan : yeah evan i googled this before posting this topic

Offline zX_BEN_Xz

• Minecraft junkie
Re: How to un-allocate an extended partition (Windows 7) ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
I hate dealing with partitions, my recovery partition had too much memory allocated to it which it didn't need. It would not let me merge the data I removed from my recovery partition with my OS partition. What I did was create other partitions with this free space such as partitions for my page file etc.
I do believe you delete that partition and it will then say it's ''Unallocated'' in black. You will then be able to extend your Windows volume.

Offline FuzzyBiscuitz

• Admin
  • Minecraft junkie
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »
you need to right click the green part and as ben said, format it or delete this partition, it will then turn black. once this is done you then right click the blue partition and then extend it over

Offline masterelias706

• Minecraft junkie
  • Maker of shit memes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
I hate dealing with partitions, my recovery partition had too much memory allocated to it which it didn't need. It would not let me merge the data I removed from my recovery partition with my OS partition. What I did was create other partitions with this free space such as partitions for my page file etc.
I do believe you delete that partition and it will then say it's ''Unallocated'' in black. You will then be able to extend your Windows volume.
you need to right click the green part and as ben said, format it or delete this partition, it will then turn black. once this is done you then right click the blue partition and then extend it over

It worked. thanks! :D
I just wanted to be sure that it won't remove these 270GB from my computer

anything
anything