Author Topic: How to fix lag spikes and FPS drops (Client Side)  (Read 794 times)

Offline FreddoChocoFrog

• Minecraft Newbie
How to fix lag spikes and FPS drops (Client Side)
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:08:48 AM »
Hey guys I just thought to make a little post to help any of you who are getting any lagg/fps problems.

First thing you want to do is go to your control panel and then in the top right search for 'java'. Double click it as it appears and on the top row of tabs. click the 'java'' tab.
In this tab click the view button.

In the pop up box you will see a column named ''Runtime Parameters''
In this box you will want to enter ''-Xmx"" followed by the number of memory you want to allocate to Java. G represents Gigiabyte and M represents megabyte. 1024 MB in one GB.

Make sure you do not set more then your computer has as it will come up with a error and make sure you do not set all of your ram to it other wise your computer will have none spare.

In my case I have allocated 5gb of RAM to it, this is what mine looks like: -Xmx 5G

Once done click ok, apply, ok and then cross of the control panel.

Now you want to launch the minecraft launcher and at the bottom left click edit profile. In the popup that appears you will see a area named 'Java settings (advanced)''. Where it has ''JVM Arguements'' you have to make sure the box to the left of it is CHECKED so you can edit the code there.

You will recognize in the first part of the code is the -Xmx part we edited in the java.

You want to change the number following it to how much you set in the java program.
For example, I set my java program to -Xmx5G and so my java line will have this at the front of it.

Once changed clicked save profile at the bottom left, and play. If you want to check whether it worked go into a game of minecraft and click F3. In the top left it should say something about allocated:some number followed by MB. If this is the same as what you set in the java and mine craft then you are all good.

If you are unsure as too how much you should set i noticed I was normally using 2/3 gb of ram constantly whilst playing the game so 4 is a good number although 3 will do just fine.

If you have any Q's just leave a reply and I will get back to you :)
-Freddo

Offline diskursen

• Minecraft junkie
  • Israel <3
Re: How to fix lag spikes and FPS drops (Client Side)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:21:20 AM »
Will test it tomarrow, coming back with results.
She wants to taste my sugarcane

Offline jackjfk21

• Minecraft junkie
  • ALL ABOARD THE NOPE TRAIN TO NOPEVILLE
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:58:14 AM »
Youre my hero, I love you Freddy <3
Dinosaurs live for ever. But some are known to never die.

Offline aquaflyer

• Minecraft junkie
  • Partypooper
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 02:04:37 AM »
If playing minecraft with 300 fps wasnt enough now ive got 430 thanks mate

Offline FreddoChocoFrog

• Minecraft Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Haha no problem bro! @Aqua @Jack

The more FPs the Merrier!!

anything
anything